50’s Pop Art Costume

Each year we do a dress up party for our work Christmas party and it’s fitting because it’s a sewing and embroidery company. Some people opt to make their own costumes, while others order their outfits online. This year when browsing through ideas I saw the 50’s Pop Art theme and since I’ve always being a huge fan or Roy Lichtenstein I was keen to make my own dress.

This was mostly a mash up between my previous Lekala Dress top and also the Butterick 5949 skirt. I also just added to two yellow panels to break up the red and blue dots.

img_8037Here is a photo of me and my co-worker Michelle who also made her own 50s dress from New Look pattern 6824.

IMG_8065.jpg

roy-lichtenstein-girl-with-hair-ribbon-c-1965All Posters – Roy Lichtenstein Picture

pop-art-dress

pop-art-dress-2

img_0061

I did buy the yellow wig but it was a little cheap and awful. I think if I went again I would order a nicer one from eBay to really finish off the costume.

Here is an awesome photo of the night with all the girls in their swing dresses and Grease inspired outfits. They went all out and really decked the party out, even getting entertainers for the night.

img_8088

img_8124
Such a fun event if you’re looking for some 50’s inspired outfits.

xx Erin xx

Advertisement

Minnie Mouse Costume

Pattern: BurdaStyle #101
Description: Minnie Mouse dress up costume using a BurdaStyle Dress with gathered skirt, fitted top and sleeves.
Fabric used: Cotton and a tulle underlay

Mickey-Mouse-03

I made this dress for a friends 30th Disney Dress up party (ordering the ears on ebay). I started with the Dress with Gathered Rectangle skirt by BurdaStyle. The main alterations were omitting the small sleeve from the dress top front and back. Once this was done I was able to add full sleeves and a small white collar.

img_0497_original_largeBurdaStyle #101 Dress

There are three parts to the skirt, the top polka dot cotton material, a tulle underlay and a third black cotton underlay so that the tulle didn’t rest on my skin and itch. This is what’s giving the skirt the extra body to flare out. Since the skirt it basically a rectangle you can gather it and see how much fabric you need to give it that full body. The underlay material wasn’t as wide as the top polka dot section.

78df45a65bf41c944fb93e2f05314687
Quote – Source Pinterest

Butterick 5747 Sailor Dress

Pattern: Butterick 5747
Description: Dress has wide collar, detachable dickey, fitted bodice, button closure, waistband, pleated skirt, and belt.
Fabric used: Cotton top and linen skirt

Butterick-5474.jpg

I was on the hunt for a Sailor Dress for a friends bachelorette party so after searching all my pattern stash I landed on the Butterick 5747 dress. There was a small amount of modification needed to make it look like a sailor outfit, however the main thing was choosing the right fabrics for the different sections of the dress.

The collar required a slight adjustment removing the ‘V’ cutout at the front and then changing the very back to be shaped square, instead of round. Also, I didn’t want to include the ‘dickey’ part so I modified the front to sit higher on my chest.

Butterick-5474-05

I created a muslin for the tester dress and once I had it perfected I then cut out my main fabric. The party went off with a hit and I got away with only spending about $20 on fabrics, instead of hiring an $80 dress. Plus, I’ve kept in my wardrobe hoping for the next sailor themed party!

Carmen-HensMe and the beautiful Hen (2014)